For your reference we have listed various frequently asked questions and answers regarding our office, programs and resources.

FAQs & Answers

What can I expect when I come to the Family Justice Center?

When you arrive at the Alameda County Family Justice Center (ACFJC) you will be greeted by the front desk receptionist who will check you in. You will be asked very basic information such as your name, zip code, age, etc. The receptionist will give you a visitor’s badge that you will be asked to wear during your entire visit.

A Client Navigator will meet you in the lobby, and this is your main point of contact at the Family Justice Center. They will walk you through the process and be on hand to answer any questions you may have. If you have children with you, they will take you to KidZone, our onsite children’s area, located on the 2nd floor. The children can play safely in KidZone while you speak with the Navigator.

Your Client Navigator will invite you to a small room where they will find out more about your story and work out how the ACFJC can help you. Together, you will complete the intake process at your pace, stopping and starting as needed until finished. The Client Navigator may then link you to agencies at the ACFJC, and perhaps refer you to agencies in the community, based on the services you want and need.heir behalf, the client may allow information to be shared by signing a Release of Information form.

When are you open?

The Alameda County Family Justice Center is open:

Monday through Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding County holidays.

If you are not able to get to us in person, please call our main number – (510) 267-8800 – and a Client Navigator will help you over the phone.

Do I need an appointment?

No. You do not need an appointment. If the Alameda County Family Justice Center Client Navigators are busy with other clients, you may need to wait for a short amount of time. But please feel free to visit anytime during regular business hours.

What languages do you speak?

The Alameda County Family Justice Center has staff who speaks English, and Spanish. We use a language line for all other languages. No one is turned away because of language barriers.

How do I get there?

The Alameda County Family Justice Center is located at 470 27th Street, Oakland, between Broadway and Telegraph.

  • By car: The ACFJC is accessible from Highway 24, and Interstates 580 and 880. Free onsite parking for clients.
  • By BART: The nearest stations are 19th Street and MacArthur.
  • By Bus: We are on AC Transit routes #1, 1R along Telegraph, and #51, 59 along Broadway. All buses stop at 12th Street BART.

How do I get a restraining order?

Our Client Navigators will connect you with the Family Violence Law Center (FVLC). The FVLC is located at Family Justice Center and can assist clients who are interested in getting a restraining order or need other legal assistance.

During specific times, a representative from the FVLC will meet with you to find out about your situation and help you decide on your legal options. If a restraining order is needed, FVLC will set up an appointment for you with a legal advocate to begin the paperwork.

What is mandatory reporting?

Some of the agencies at the Alameda County Family Justice Center have staff that are licensed or are training to become licensed, such as counselors. Licensed staff are Mandated Reporters. This means that if you tell your counselor about suspected or known abuse to a child, elder, or dependent adult, they are legally obligated to make a report to Child and Family Services (formally, Child Protective Services) or Adult Protective Services.

Licensed staff must also make a report if a client expresses a desire to commit an act which would hurt her/himself (suicide) or another person (homicide). Reports are made in the interest of keeping our clients and their families safe.

Will my services be kept confidential?

All services received at the Alameda County Family Justice Center are confidential, except in instances of mandatory reporting (as required by law for the safety and well-being of our clients).

If clients want their service providers to coordinate services on their behalf, the client may allow information to be shared by signing a Release of Information form.

Do I have to file a police report to get services?

The Alameda County Family Justice Center is available to all victims, whether they file a police report or not.